WHAT: Serious sailors and skippers-in-training will set sail for an unforgettable experience at SAILFest, a new, expanded area of the 2011 Norwalk Boat Show. Visitors will enjoy four full days of smooth sailing on Long Island Sound and coast through a variety of free interactive seminars, a new Discover Boating on-the-water educational series and an array of attractions that are ‘shore’ to entertain enthusiasts of all ages. Plus, shop and take advantage of the season’s best deals on the biggest selection of sailboats, diesel engines, gear and must-have accessories on Long Island Sound.
In addition to hands-on activities and daily sailing seminars, visitors can head off course to the Latitudes & Attitudes Cruiser’s Bash to celebrate the end of sailing season, share stories and take in the tropical tunes of Eric Stone.
When& Thursday through Sunday, September 22-25, 2011; 10am-6pm daily
Where: Norwalk Cove Marina in Norwalk, CT
NORWALK BOAT SHOW'S SAILFEST FEATURES INCLUDE:
- Meet ‘Unsinkable’ Abby Sunderland – Her name may not be recognizable, but her story was heard around the world. In January 2010, at the age of sixteen, Abby Sunderland set sail from Marina Del Ray, California, in a quest to become the youngest solo sailor ever to circumnavigate the globe. Five months and 12,500 miles into her journey, a huge rogue wave capsized and dismasted her boat, Wild Eyes, in the Indian Ocean. Presumed lost-at-sea for two days, Abby relied on her faith and her training to sustain herself through her ordeal. Hear first-hand about her experience, snap a photo and get an autographed copy of her new book, "Unsinkable: A Young Woman's Courageous Battle on the High Seas," Saturday, September 24 from 12pm-4pm and Sunday, September 25 from 11am-3pm.
- Introduction to Sailing – Learn how fun and easy sailing can be by participating in a FREE sailing skills clinic aboard a Discover Sailing training vessel. These sessions run daily from 10:30am-noon and 4-5:30pm. PLEASE NOTE: Space in each session is limited—advance registration is highly recommended. Click here to register. Visitors can also sign up at the Discover Boating Resource Center located at the head of A Dock (presented by Sound Sailing Center and Discover Sailing).
- Coastal Cruising – for the experienced captains! Learn advanced sailing skills and recovery methods aboard Discover Sailing training vessels. This training session runs daily from 1:30-3:30pm PLEASE NOTE: Space in each session is limited—advance registration is highly recommended.Click here to register. Visitors can also sign up at the Discover Boating Resource Center located at the head of A Dock (presented by Sound Sailing Center and Discover Sailing).
- Marine Diesel Basics – a must-attend for all serious sailors: Thursday, September 22- Friday, September 23 from 9:00a.m. - 4:00p.m. – Register Today! This new, exclusive 12-hour class is designed to benefit both recreational boaters and professional mariners who operate vessels equipped with diesel engines. The course covers every type of diesel engine. Upon completion of this course, students will be able to understand, troubleshoot, and perform basic preventative maintenance and repairs to their diesel engine. Throughout the course, students receive both lecture and hands-on instruction, and while this course is not designed to turn boat owners into expert mechanics, graduates gain a working knowledge of marine diesels, and the confidence to know when an experienced mechanic is needed. Cost: $395 per person; includes four tickets to the show (good any day)! Space is limited and pre-registration is required! Register here.
- Latitudes & Attitudes Cruiser’s Bash, 6pm-9pm on Saturday, September 24th– The gang from Latitudes & Attitudes magazine is inviting cruisers from near and far to come and celebrate the cruising lifestyle at the Norwalk Boat Show. Eric Stone will be on hand, all the way from the British Virgin Islands, to entertain the masses with his island tunes. Enjoy FREE beverages and pizza, plus take part in a raffle with prizes valued at more than $10,000! The Cruiser's Bash is open to all attendees and exhibitors; no one will be admitted after the show closes.
TICKETS: $14 for adults; children 15 and under get in FREE.
Discount Group Tickets — $3.00 discount per ticket; available for groups of 10-30; $5
Discount per ticket for groups of 31+
WEB: For more information and to pre-shop the show, visit BoatShowNorwalk.com.