Discover Boating Hands-On Skills Training
On-the-water learning events—only at the boat show!
Hands-on, on-the-water workshops designed to add more fun to your boat show experience…and take your boating skills up a notch. There’s something for everyone—from absolute beginners to seasoned skippers! You'll learn from experts— All sessions are taught by USCG licensed captains who are also certified professional instructors.|
One-Hour Powerboating Workshops
Discover Boating presents four different hands-on, on-the-water workshops for powerboaters, designed to develop skills that will last a lifetime and add to your boating safety and enjoyment.
- Basic Docking and Fundamental Boat Control—Learn the fundamentals of boat control in confined spaces including how to confidently maneuver close to other boats, piers, docks and fixed objects, how to turn in tight spaces, back down a narrow channel and other important docking and maneuvering skills. For boaters who wish to increase both competence and confidence in docking situations
- Advanced Docking Skills— Covers precision boat control and docking techniques used by professional captains including how to manage wind and current, recovering and maintaining control in gusty winds, using spring lines and more. For experienced boaters as well as those who are thinking about moving up in boat size or class.
- Open Water Boat Handling & Safety—Helmsmanship, the ability to steer and handle a boat well, can’t be learned from a book or in a classroom. In this session you'll take the helm to learn powering up, slowing and stopping safely, steering a straight course, turning and handling waves and wakes safely, complying with the Rules of the Road, passenger safety and more. For skippers and crew of all experience levels.
- Anchoring and Multi-Vessel Rafting Techniques—Hands-on anchoring exercises include how to set the anchor securely, weigh anchor, steps to free a fouled anchor, strategies for anchoring in strong winds and current and adverse/changing conditions and techniques for using an anchor to manage emergency situations as well as techniques for rafting up with other vessels at anchor. For skippers and crew of all experience levels.
Persons younger than 18 years of age must be accompanies by a parent or legal guardian; All participants must be able to work as an actove crew member. Participation is limited to 4 persons per boat. Advance registration is highly recommended. Registration fee per person/per session: $15 in advance. $20 at the show. CLICK HERE for complete details, daily schedule and to register.
Three-Hour Powerboating Workshops
These three-hour underway sessions offer power boaters additional skills training and more practice time to deliver an even greater learning experience. Choose from two comprehensive sessions:
- Powerboating Made Easy—If you've ever left your boat sitting in her slip when the weather looked even a little "iffy" this workshop is designed for you. Held entirely onboard and underway, this session offers hands-on training in critical boating skills, including: fundamental close quarters boat control, essential docking methods and crew communication, route planning and using a nautical chart, Aids to Navigation, Rules of the Road while underway—including sound signals, open water boat handling, powering up, slowing, stopping and adjusting vessel trim, anchoring techniques, rafting and more!
Crew members younger than age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. All crew members must be able to participate as an active crew member while underway.
- Advanced Docking & Precision Boat Control in Tight Spaces—If you want to learn how to make your boat do EXACTLY what you want it to do, this session is for you.Taught by experts in the art of close quarter maneuvering, it covers techniques used by professional captains and is designed for experienced boaters, regardless of boat size or propulsion; the techniques are principles covered are universal and can be adapted to any vessel. You'll learn: how to evaluate docking conditions, develop effective docking plans, how to maneuver in wind and current, how to recover and maintain vessel control in gusty winds, the "ferrying' technique, how to use springlines, shorthanded docking considerations, crew communications and more!
Participants in this session MUST be 18 years of age or older and able to work as an active crew member while underway.
Participation is limited. Advance registration highly recommended. Registration fee per person/per session: $99 advance online or $125 at the show. Participants who register in advance will receive FREE boat show admission for the day. CLICK HERE for complete course descriptions, daily schedule and to register.